July 3, 2010

Neca Had It Right The First Time

You may be wondering why you are seeing mini Edward below here and thinking that I may have posted on the wrong blog. Well, this post really isn't about any thing that mini Edward did but more about mini Edward in general. Kind of like a "your mom" joke. It's not really about specifically your mom, but your mom in general. Catch my drift? No? Alright let's move on anyway.

Most of you know about my love of mini Edward. I am very grateful to Neca for creating him. If it wasn't for Neca, you all wouldn't even know I existed. Now I know all of you are grateful for Neca.

Who is Neca might you ask? Neca is the company that supplies all your crack..er.. I mean Twilight merchandise. Neca is responsible for bringing this into my life:

I have to admit that I was very impressed with mini Edward's likeness to Robert Pattinson. It's not easy to make a mass produced action figure look exactly like it's muse, so I give props to Neca for the detail that went into the hair, the face, the jaw, and even the general body shape is pretty similar. So similar in fact, that while looking through some Eclipse Premier photos, I spotted something familiar. Pay attention to Rob in this photo. Honestly, who else would you pay attention to?





Crazy huh? The only thing mini Edward is missing is someone wrinkling his coat. Seriously, why wasn't he batting her away all night. He should make her pay his dry cleaning bill.


Basically, what I'm saying is that Neca had a good thing going. They had the perfect mold for mini Edward. He looked right, had wonderful bendable elbows that made posing easy, and a posable tilting head that changes his expression. All they had to do for the next films was change the outfit.


I was so excited for the release of the New Moon action figures. I remember being at work and checking all the Twi blogs and someone posted the first pics of the action figures. I couldn't wait to see, but when I first saw NM mini Edward, my heart sunk a little....



Ok, he's not that bad. The face and hair are a lot different but still bears an acceptable resemblance. The outfit is completely boring with some of the highest waisted pants ever. I know Edward is 109 and all, but he doesn't have to dress like it. They should have used the Strutward outfit. Then I was really saddened by the lack of bendable elbows. Oh well, I thought, and just went to the store to get one anyway. But what I found scared the bejebus out of me.


What the crap?! What happened?! Neca screwed up Edward as much as Summit did! When did Edward gain 30 pounds? Is Edward allergic to bee stings because his face and neck are more swollen than a body builder's. Why did they model the chin after Jay Leno? This looks like a mix between Donny Osmand and Arnold Schwartzinager. And to be honest it frightens me. It turns out the proto type they show everyone is not quite what they mass produce and sell. I was heart broken. I could not bring myself to buy one. Even about a month ago when I found it for $2.50 I still couldn't do it.
Then they came out with this..

Poor guy, I think Kristen Stewart got a hold of his shirt. And I don't recall Edward wearing a corset under his shirt either. And we're still going with the ugly face? Ok.
I didn't have my hopes up for the Eclipse action figures. I was secretly hoping that they would fix all the issues with NM Edward. They did do a bit of a better job with the face and gave him a tilting head. In my line of bloggy work, that is a must.

Honestly, the I think the only reason I can tolerate this one is the outfit. I'm sucker for the denim coat, but I don't know why Neca made it black. Still we have no bendable elbows though. I am saddened by all of this. I know all of you are probably weeping by now after reading this. I feel your pain. I wonder if we all sign a petition, Neca will go back to the original mold and not screw up the Breaking Dawn Edward. Some how, I doubt it.
I guess you just can't mess with perfection.

7 comments:

KG said...

i so with you on this! why oh why did they change him? mini E was perfect! i love my twilight E and i carry him everywhere.

btw, i love the new blog!

Mrs. P @ TwiBite said...

The lack of bendable elbows is a horrific obstacle for you to overcome. This saddens me.

When I scrolled, and saw you turned him around and had his arm out, I almost spit my coffee all over the keyboard!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for BD Edward for you. Maybe he'll come with a tux and a piece of cake.

Toefunny said...

LWE....finding the perfect pose that matched Mini E with Premier Rob was shear GENIUS!!! I almost peed my pants!

I completely agree with you on the horrifying muck up of NM and Eclipse Minis ...such a travesty. NM E being the worse of the two by far.

Jelena @ Twiholic said...

I absolutely agree with you.

I had no desire to acquire the NM Edward; either of one them (the corset bit had me rolling on the floor; I never noticed that before).
However, Eclipse Edward looks pretty sexy. I think it's the outfit, and that bad boy stance. Yum. I am definitely going to have to get my paws on that one.
Btw, I only have that mini with sunglasses, because I bought E&B together.

Oh, and lovely little blog. Didn't know you went Mrs.P. on us. ;)

17foreverlisa said...

Oh, shit. That pose of Premiere Rob is absolutely perfect...right foot turned out and all. I, of course, love that Kristen is clutching his jacket ;)

I am so with you on the total fail on all of the other versions of Edward, which is why I only own Twilight Edward, too. They really missed out on some sales.

TongueTwied said...

Alice would never let Edward wear brown shoes with a dark suit.

nice little place you have going on here. Good thing they let any ole riff raft in here (because that's why I'm here after all)

Dangrdafne said...

You are too funny!! I woke my hubby up laughing at this!! LOVE IT!

Twilight Mini-E will always be my favorite. Such a cutie. My Mini-E didn't like Boston too much. Not enough for him to do there. Although my niece called him "that vampire". Too cute.